BBC Red Button: Disability Group
Interactive TV Programming: BBC Red Button: Disability Group
Tools used: Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop & Illustrator.
The group consisted of: Daniel Grocock whose role was Campaign. Timonthy Steeberg in the role of Interactive. Sarah Armstrong in the role of Campaign. My role was as animator/compositor.
As part of the “BA (Hons) Design for Digital Media” course I worked on this proejct with the team. The brief for it was:
Target Audience: As a group we started to look towards the most effected audience within disability groups.
Our aim is to make our audience aware of the new red button services without highlighting any particular disability, we intend to make our campaign as neutral as possible.
- We did not want to make the service disabled oriented.
- As a group we decided to pick the deaf as the audience to aim our red
button services at.
Facts and Figures:
- There are 9 million deaf and hard of hearing people in the UK alone.
- Under disability discrimination Act (DDA), organisations must make a
responsible adjustment to how they deliver information to the public.
- Sign language cannot be written down.
- If deaf people feel like they have been left our or not considered when
navigating or responding to a channel they will simply switch off and go
- Colours are very important and can be very distracting for a deaf person
trying to read a piece of text.
We did some research among deaf people to find out their opinion on the current subtitles and to see if they wanted them to be improved.
From doing this research we found out that the subtitles are not up to date and effective on the deaf audience.
We also found this out about the current subtitles:
They are not always accurate in what they say.
It is hard to see which character is saying which lines are too many different colours are used.
The black background to the subtitles covers too much of the program.
The font used isn’t friendly and can be hard to read.
- As a group we wanted to change deaf peoples current opinion on the subtitles and make they modern, accurate and customisable.
Our approach to updating the subtitles is to make them more friendly and useable.
The first thing we wanted to change was the black background, we did this by using a background with a low opacity. We wanted to make the subtitles less confusing by having a thumbnail image of the character saying each line at the start of the sentence.
- Finally the most important thing in out idea was to make the subtitles customisable to the users needs.
As we know that everybody is different in what they want from subtitles we thought it would be good to have a feature that would let the user customise the subtitles to exactly what they want.
The user would have a few different choices and options to what they can customise. These choices would be: Font, Size, Colour,
How many previous lines they would like to see.
"The Choice Is Yours"